Minnesota Youth Basketball Alliance Recommendations For COVID-19
Athlete Return to Play Protocol and Recommendations
The US Council for Athletes Health has released Updated Covid Guidelines and Sports as of December 28, 2021. These updated guidelines are recommended to be adopted by MYBA member associations.
USCAH COVID Q & A as of 1/7/2022
Who is the USCAH?
"The U.S. Council for Athletes' Health provides independent, unbiased athletics healthcare consultation, education, and compliance from a team of experts with nearly 300 years of experience in athletics healthcare and administration.
Founded in 2017, USCAH is committed to the health, safety, and welfare of all athletes at all levels and is dedicated to the mission of collaborating with every organization to inspire and ensure athlete health and safety is a priority.
As a collaborative partner with the MYAS, the USCAH team delivers consultation, education, compliance, and expert analysis that reduce risk and protect against undue injuries for all who participate in MYAS programming."
MN Department of Health (MDH) Notes as of 1/13/2022
If someone gets COVID they should wait five days after symptom onset before returning to normal activities, their symptoms should be improving, and they should be fever free for 24 hours. If you have someone that meets that criteria and returns 5-10 days after getting sick we would recommend they wear a well fitting mask for the remainder of that time period.
With the updated guidelines there is a recognition that some transmission is going to occur. We know that some people are still infectious after that day 5 and that close contacts can develop symptoms up to 14 days after exposure but we’re trying to focus on the period of time when people are most infectious. Vaccination can really help lessen the severity and duration of illness. Fully vaccinated individuals (shot series and up to date on boosters) who are exposed do not need to quarantine as long as they can watch for symptoms, wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days, and get tested after day 5.
MSHSL COVID Guidance
American Academy of Pediatrics COVID-19 Interim Guidance
General Guidance: mailto:Health.email@example.com
The recommendations below were adopted from the Minnesota State High School League and can be considered as MN Youth Basketball Alliance members develop COVID plans to be implemented within their association.
- Strongly recommend vaccination for all those ages 5 and older.
- Masks/face coverings should be worn when participants are not actively playing.
- Indoor masking is recommended for all spectators, coaches, and game personnel.
- Maintaining 3 feet of distance from people when possible.
- Small groups/pods during practices.
- Self-screening should be done by all participants, coaches, referees, spectators, and game personnel.
- Attendance should be kept for all team games, practices, and activities.
- Participants who are not vaccinated should be tested regularly.
General Hygiene Practices
- Handwashing, using individual water bottles, clean equipment, and uniforms, disinfect high-touch areas, and limit the sharing of equipment.
Use of Indoor Spaces
- When using indoor spaces, keep groups/pods small.
- Use of practice pods that are small and consistent.
- Stagger start time to reduce contact.
- Limit practice to only coaches and players, when possible.
- Off-court activities are not recommended.
- Carpooling is not recommended. If necessary, use masks/face coverings and social distance as much as possible.
NOTE: Facility requirements take priority over any of the above recommendations.