Minnesota's Home for Youth Sports
MYAS Travel Basketball Guidelines For Team Composition
MYAS Events Include: Super Saver tournaments, travel Lite Winter Basketball League, Grade State Basketball Championships, Rec State Basketball Championships (Gopher State Spring and Fall events are excluded from these guidelines).
1. Athletes must try out and compete with the travel association within the community where they reside or attend school. Exception: in situations involving "split families, " the athlete may participate with the association closest to the mother's or father's residence.
2. If there is not a travel association within the community where the athlete resides or attends school, or if the athlete has been cut or restricted from the association, they may participate with a bordering association.
3. Any exceptions to the above guidelines require the approval of the MYAS Advisory Committee.
"Open/All-Star" An "all-star" team is defined as any team that is comprised of players from multiple communities where recognized youth associations exists.
"Renegade/Independent" A "renegade/independent" team is defined as any team that is comprised of players who all reside in the same community or attend the same school, but who have chosen to bypass the local traveling association.
MYAS GUIDELINES FOR ORGANIZATIONS
1. The sponsoring organization must be of perpetual nature (i.e. intend to be in existence from year to year).
2. The MYAS recognizes teams that emanate from organizations that have a democratic posture, meaning that the administrative structure of the organization must allow for open election of officers and open forums for parents and participants to voice their concerns.
3. The MYAS recognizes organizations that promote and implement programs for multiple age/grade levels. We do not recognize single teams formulated by any individual(s) not affiliated with, or recognized by a recognized organized, as described above or a bona fide association.
MINNEAPOLIS AND ST. PAUL BASKETBALL COALITIONS EXCEPTION
Previously, the MYAS accepted "independent " teams form the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis because neither community had a bona fide youth basketball association that represented their respective cities. This past practice has been terminated. The MYAS will recognize and accept teams that are coordinated and sponsored by recognized coalition member organizations ONLY! A complete list of coalition members can be found at www.myas.org.
WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU ALLOW THESE TEAMS THAT ARE AFFLIATED WITH THESE ORGANIZATIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN YOUR WINTER LEAGUES AND/OR INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENTS.